Friday, September 27, 2013

I am finally connected!

Connecting has been troublesome and time consuming....still no email and I am just into my blog with no guarantee that a post will actually occur....having said that, I am well and busy.  My teaching partner Sean and Nancy have been working since we got here to organize space, go thru and get supplies as well as complete the entrance test for the students.  We had more than 50 apply for 40 spots and by Sunday evening we had scored the tests and sent the names to be notified.  Not much lead time for the kids but most made it on Monday AM. 

We have 41 students who started class.  It is quite a challenge knowing very little Swahili but it does creates some lighthearted moments as we struggle with names in particular.  Students are eager and work hard each day.

We have had two very busy days of teaching.  Exhausting but fun.  Our classrooms are not finished so we are in a borrowed classroom that barely fits the teachers and pupils....the students are used to much more crowding so for them 40 students in a class is pretty small.

Now that I am in.....I will be more organized and try to post a photo or two.  This is truly a beautiful spot - green and lush in the mountains....friendly faces and a very warm welcome.  We have already been to the market and tomorrow go to pick our first order of bread! 



Here is a photo of me and my teaching partner Sean in front of our house in Manow.  It feels like a mansion for sure with 2 bathrooms and a refrigerator!


No comments:

Post a Comment