Friday, October 25, 2013

Moving Day!!

Today we were able to begin moving benches and tables into our new classrooms....we will have class on Monday in the new space!  We were supposed to be in the temporary  room for 1 week, then 2 weeks, and so it goes but it finally is finished enough for us to use it....hooray.....

The students carried two large tables we are borrowing from Manow Secondary School along with some desks for Sean and I to keep our supplies, some chairs and of course the benches overland to the new classrooms.  It was quite a trek and on the way the kids gave Sean and I some Swahili lessons - pointing out things on the way and letting me know the Swahili words....somehow I was the one the girls thought should have a quiz on Monday to see if I remembered my Swahili vocabulary.  I have been stressing their need to study to do well and in fact pointing out when it is clear they had not studied....hmmmmm.  I think they may have a plan here.....I let them know I would be studying this weekend.  Wish me luck!  I do remember saa is watch and kofia is hat and miwani ya jua is sunglasses....these are apparently my trademarks according to the girls in our class.

  This is a great accomplishment for Nancy Winters, The Tanzania Teaching Foundation and Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Oly WA.  With Nancy's leadership, all the funds for the 2 classrooms were raised and the building managed and completed from more than 10,000 miles away.  No mean feat for sure!

Market tomorrow and more cleaning and setting up of the class room. and studying my Swahili vocabulary of course.  Hopefully I will get some photos to drop box and Hilary can post them on the blog - building these classrooms in partnership with the church and the community in Manow is a great gift to the kids and to the community!  The kids are so excited!




Erick, Winhadi, Uwezo, Peter and Antony





Gwamaka, Erick A.,Jasiri


Anafi, Anna, Modesta

No comments:

Post a Comment