Sunday, October 20, 2013

Thank You Cedrus from all the kids in Pre Form 1 English!!

Friday is our exam day so it is pretty high stress for the kids.  We also make them clean the room and pick up trash and debris in the area around our class room....not usual tasks for students in Manow or for that matter anywhere in TZ....so....we try to do something fun on Fridays.....this week I brought in my Ipod and the speaker that son in law extraordinaire - Cedrus - got for me.  It is so small it fits in my pocket but plays the music loud enough for you to hear....the kids were enthralled.

I immediately became the coolest teacher ever.....at least temporarily :).  I found a version of "This Little Light of Mine" that was country western complete with steel guitar....they loved singing along to that for sure and then we played "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" also a big hit which they want to learn for sure.

I told them that Cedrus had gotten me the speaker that enabled us to hear the music so there was a big round of ThankYou Cedrus!  Tanzania is very loud....kids talk loud - what we would call yelling is really normal conversation for them.  Also music and radios in general are played very loudly - then people talk over them rendering everyone completely deaf to what is going on around them....or at least me anyhoo.....getting the kids to quiet down so they could hear what a feat but they eventually figured it out and had a great time.  I put it in my pocket and then went around to each group working and we had mini sessions.  They can't wait for next Friday! 

Thank you Cedrus!

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading this post! Music can be so fun and uplifting, glad you were able to share with the kids. Right on, Cedrus! :-) -Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete