Monday, November 25, 2013

November 15th, 2013 – our last two weeks in Manow

We finished week 8 of the curriculum today.  Plans are made for an open house to thank the community on November 24th.  I will be learning to make Sambosa’s on the 23rd from Jane, the cook extraordinaire in Manow.  Jane works for the school as the stores manager.  When I mentioned wanting to learn to make Sambosa’s Martin immediately said, “You have to go to Jane, she is the best.”.  He also mentioned that she makes delicious cakes and when she described them to me, I was on board.  My family knows I love cakes but am a consistently unsuccessful cake baker.  Jane will be making the sambosa’s which are pretty involved – first you have to make chapati – basically flour and water fried like a thick [rubbery I would say] pancake.  Then you cut the chapati in 4 pieces and fill with the cooked meat filling mixed with – onion, carrot, garlic, salt – then deep fry the individual sambosa’s.  I will do the grunt work for Jane on the 23rd and am really looking forward to it.

We have dinner with the Mwakeima’s on Sunday – Mama Harri’s famous chicken pilau and then Martin and Neema by butter and vanilla benefactor are coming next week.  We look forward to both of these fun times. 

 We have reached the time when we don’t have enough time to do everything we need to do or more importantly what we want to do before we leave on December 2nd.   An embarrassment of riches to be sure.  The choir is practicing in the distance, the cows are at home  - evening in Manow.


No comments:

Post a Comment