Monday, November 25, 2013

November 22, 2013 – The big game [s]

I have some fun photos to post when I get home of the kids playing....sorry I can't get them to you now!
 Traditionally the Pre-Form 1 kids play the Form 1 [freshman] kids in football before the end of the class.  This year the girls wanted to be involved so they challenged the Form 1 girls to a net ball game as well.   I have finally learned something about net ball – I have heard about it in Tanzania before but have never understood it – mainly because I keep looking for a net…there is no net.  There are 2 hoops – smaller than a basketball hoop and in fact they look a bit higher – at opposite ends of a narrow field of indeterminate size.  The object is to get the ball – we used a volleyball – into the hoop from under the hoop at a very difficult angle while a large girl with hands the size of dinner plates leans over you to attempt to get the ball away from you.  There is running, passing, only 1 bounce per person and I never did get out of bounds at all.  The girls love it!  They were at what turned out to be a grave disadvantage since they did not have a hoop of any kind on the practice field…they had no trouble getting to the hoop even though the Form 1 girls were much bigger and taller – but getting the ball into the hoop was a big challenge.  They put forth a great effort and were rewarded with cheers all around…they beamed.


Modesta  was our tallest and strongest player and she did great!
Again....here is an example of how I don't understand the in bounds and out of bounds....I think the girl with the scarf is actually playing???

As you can see, the hoop is a bit off kilter making it even more difficult to score!

The boys fared better losing by one goal.  They were clearly robbed as the ref was apparently listening to another game on his Iphone.  The other team had 1 goal that was so badly off sides even I noticed it and then 2 bogus penalties inside the box.  Our goalie was fearless but a direct kick inside the box is almost impossible to defend.  Obviously I was much to invested in the game to take many pictures!  I was able to wear my soccer mom hat when I corrected the goalie’s sentences for the week.  One was as follows “I love the game – I added “of football and I am a very good goalie”.  We all had a great time – not least our girls who formed a cheer squad for the boys when net ball ended - including cheers in English!



Step one  before any football [soccer] game is to clear the field of livestock - use a bike if you have one!

some of our reserve football team and permanent cheering section - from left Oscar, Jasiri, Anafi, Kenny, Elieza and Erick

The most remarkable part of the day for Sean and I was to see these kids – many of whom did not know each other on September 23rd,  play so well together as teams.  We beamed like proud teachers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment